Even if the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) was extended for another week there will be no additional aid for low-income households, Malacañang announced.
Presidential Harry Roque said in a television interview that since workers did not go to work last week in observance of the Holy Week for at least three days, the P1, 000 worth of assistance will be given as either cash or in-kind is the final amount that they will receive.
“Traditional naman po na ang pasok lang naman talaga ay Monday to Tuesday [kapag Mahal na Araw], kaya dalawang araw lang po talaga ang nawala na kita sa ating mamamayan,” Roque said in an ANC interview.
(It has been a tradition that people only go to work on Monday and Tuesday during Holy Week, so the lost income is only for two days.)
The aid which is worth P1,000 per individual or a maximum of P4,000 per household will be released to local government units this week.
“The P4,000 per family… that will never be enough, but the nature of ayuda is to help [the family] pass this period na hindi makakapagtrabaho. ‘Yun na po ‘yun,” Roque said.
(The nature of the aid is to tide the family over until they can go back to work again. That amount would be it.)
The ECQ protocol which was supposed to end last April 4, was extended due to the surge in Covid-19 cases. The protocol prevents non-essential trips and non-essential businesses and services from operating.
On April 4 alone, there are over 11,028 new cases, bringing a total of 135,526 COVID-19 cases as of posting time in the Philippines.
Based on Department of Health records, 58,331 new COVID-19 cases were recorded in Metro Manila alone in the last two weeks.
The National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) earlier said a two-week modified community quarantine, one notch lower than the ECQ, would bring about P2.1 billion daily losses, raise the number of hungry Filipinos by 58,000; and increase unemployed Filipinos by 128,500.
Source: GMA News