The National Task Force Against Covid-19 (NTF) finally approved the Western Visayas local official's request to extend the suspension of flights and trips from specific high-risk areas.
From April 13 to April 19, land and sea trips and flights from the NCR Plus regions, and from the cities of Cebu as well as Davao are temporarily suspended from entering Region VI. Though, the travel restriction excludes returning overseas Filipino workers.
Earlier, in Resolution No. 108, the NTF has also previously approved the request of the chief executives in Western Visayas to suspend flights and trips until April 10.
While the Covid-19 surge hasn't ceased in the NCR Plus Regions, the Western Visayas has also been experiencing a sharp increase in infections.
On April 7, the Region records 264 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 28,638. Currently, it has 2,219 active cases with a logged total of 795 deaths.
Furthermore, the province of Antique is among the areas experiencing a surge in cases.
Due to the increase of the infections in the Region, Iloilo City Mayor Jerry Treñas, on behalf of the other mayors and governors requested the NTF to extend the suspension from April 11 to 17.
In a letter written by the NTF to Mayor Treñas, it said they acknowledged the surge of infections in Western Visayas. "To protect your healthcare system from being overwhelmed and to prevent more local transmissions in your Region, the NTF Covid, approves your request to suspend all flights and trips to Region VI from April 13 to 19, 2021."
The NTF moved the date of the effectivity to give due notice to all those who are planning to travel to Region 6. They also said that the chief executives of Western Visayas should use this time to intensify their implementation and monitoring of compliance with the minimum public health protocols.