President Rodrigo Duterte approved the recommendation of the national task force against COVID-19 to extend the ban on travelers coming from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Oman, and United Arab Emirates, Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said on Monday.
From June 1 to June 15, travelers from the mentioned seven countries are barred from entering the Philippines.
President Duterte "has approved the extension of restrictions currently imposed on inbound travel, "Roque said.
Since April 29, the travel prohibition on India was in place, and the government originally set to end it on May 14, but it was extended till May 31. Eventually, other nations, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Oman, and UAE, were added to the countries covered by the travel restrictions.
The travel bans are part of measures to prevent the entry of the B1617 variant, first detected in India last year and declared by the World Health Organization as a variant of concern.
Philippine health authorities have detected at least 13 cases of the COVID-19 variant first identified in India.